PHOTO EXHIBITIONS + CV – MICHAEL GORMLY
- APRIL 2014 - SELECTED AS FINALIST IN HEAD ON PHOTO COMPETITION, LANDSCAPE SECTION. EXHIBITION 12 MAY - 8 JUNE, PARLIAMENT HOUSE SYDNEY. Image: Exposure.
- 2013: 'Yoorun Magic: rock, rainbow and the silver river' at Kerrie Lowe Gallery, Newtown, 21 June-9 July. Photos taken over five years on the Turon River near Sofala reveal striking connections with the rare surviving art of the original Wiradjuri people who lived in the region before Australia's first gold rush in 1851 drove them away. This series is a speculative attempt to reveal secret magic in this vivid landscape, enabling a deeper 'connection with country' and demonstrating why this is so central to Aboriginal culture and cosmology.
- 2013: Seven pieces in group show 'The Art of Seeing' at Kerrie Lowe Gallery, Newtown, 31 May-18 June. My set is tiitled Light: the remix.
- 2011: Winner, Kings Cross Photography Prize with image Radio John by a 3-2 decision of the judges
. See Judges' Choice page
- 2011: Selected as exhibitor in Kings Cross Photography prize 'Character of the Cross', showing at the Mercure Hotel Potts Point October 5–24, 2011. Curator: Sandy Edwards.
- 2011: Solo exhibition Last days of the New York Restaurant: 1-8 September 2011 on the premises of the iconic former restaurant, 18 Kellet Street Kings Cross.
- 2010: Blake Religious Art Prize - image Waterhole Dreaming - Fertility selected for Directors Cut exhibition. The image is displayed on the Blake Society's website from Wednesday 6 October 2010 until Saturday 15 January, 2011. (Also on the Judges' choice page on this site).
- 2010: Photograph Alien Baby Selected for Head On Portrait Competition in electronic display shortlist. Exhibited at the Australian Centre for Photography, Paddington, from 30 April (Also on the Judges' choice page on this site).
- 2010: Weekly publication of news photography in Sydney City News and occasionally in sister publications, uncredited. Work consists of several hard news pics each week, usually with my by-lined stories, plus an ongoing series, Pole Poster/Graffito of the week.
- 2009: Four photographs published on page 2, Sun Herald newspaper October 18 -- The car that ate Woolloomooloo
- 2009: 15 black-and-white prints of NSW Riot Squad taken at the Sydney APEC demonstation exhibited in group show Revolution at Sedition hairdressers, Darlinghurst, 9–16 July
- 2009: Photograph Shooting the shooter wins equal second prize in Landscape section of Images of The Cross photo exhibition held by the Kings Cross Arts Guild, On exhibition at the Kings Cross Library May 1–31 (See Judges' choice page on this site).
- 2009: Projection of Kings Cross historical images plus neon sign-themed photo art on five screens at Sinners & Swingers Arts Guild Ball, Club Swans, Saturday 2 May
- 2008: Photograph Fairy Sparkle selected for Head On Portrait Competition in electronic display shortlist. Exhibited at the Australian Centre for Photography, Paddington, 1 May–7 June, then at the Vivid Photography Festival, M16 Art Space, Canberra, 9–22 July. (See Judges' choice page on this site).
- 2008: Photograph Junk Mail Experiment selected as finalist in public section of the Sydney Now exhibition at Sydney Museum (Exhibited February–April) (See Judges' choice page on this site).
- 2008: 35mm slide show projected live over dancers at Retro à Go-Go, El Rocco Jazz Cellar, Kings Cross, April 4
- 2008: New print book, Sydney Souvenirs, on show at Gallery 26, Milsons Point (Feb)
- 2007: 14 pieces shown at inaugural group exhibition, Gallery 26, Alfred Street Milsons Point, 11 December – introducing works from three new series in progress: Fractal Coast, Steel on Steel and Gothic Sydney
- 2007: Music video clip 'Onyerbike' shown at Bespoke Exhibition, Mori Gallery, Day St Sydney, 23 November–1 December
- 2007: Co-exhibitor. Two black-and-white photo artworks mounted on galvanised steel in 'Images of the Cross', TAP Gallery
- 2007: Co-exhibitor. Three black-and-white photographs mounted on galvanised steel. 'Art of Torture' exhibition, Amnesty International, TAP Gallery
- 2007: Solo exhibition. 41 black-and-white photographs of the APEC week in Sydney, featuring the new Riot Squad with water cannon. Bugden's Bookshop, William Street Kings Cross
- 2007: Co-exhibitor. Four works in group show 'Bang Bang Gang Thang', Blank_Space Gallery
- 2006: Co-exhibitor, Images of the Cross, TAP Gallery
- 2006: Solo exhibition, Blank_Space Gallery, Surry Hills: 61 surreal and abstract photoart works
- 2005: Solo exhibition, 10 pieces with a link to Kings Cross, City of Sydney Council: acquired by Council and now on permanent exhibition at the Rex Centre, Kings Cross
- 2005: Documentary sets, ‘Tunnel Vision’ exhibition, The Cross Art Projects
- 2005: Co-exhibitor, Real Refusés Archibald exhibition, TAP Gallery.
- 2004: Documentary set at 'On Neon', The Cross Art Projects
- 2003: Co-exhibitor, Images of the Cross, TAP Gallery
- 2003: Co-exhibitor, Antipod-i exhibition at Bondi Pavilion
- 1978: Solo exhibition, Moruya Show, interiors of alternative dwellings
From November 2008 – Regular News Photography for The City News weekly
Ongoing: Frequent photographic assignments for design clients of my business Superkern Design – product, people, architectural, event
In 1999 I published a series of mega-panoramic posters of the Sydney CBD, contrasting the different winter lights of dawn, midday and evening. Several hundred were sold at retail outlets throughout Sydney and at the Royal Easter Show.